Posts Tagged ‘NEW YORK’

At least three people have been killed and 15 injured in a pile-up involving almost 100 vehicles in the US state of Virginia, police say.

They said there were 17 separate crashes within a distance of one mile (1.6km) on Interstate 77 near the base of Fancy Gap Mountain.

(more…)

Sens. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., and James Inhofe, R-Okla., joined three other Republican senators threatening to filibuster any new restrictions on guns Thursday.

The two senators added their signatures to a letter previously signed by Sens. Rand Paul, R-Ky., Mike Lee, R-Utah, and Ted Cruz, R-Texas, vowing to protect the Second Amendment.

The letter, which was originally sent to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid on March 22, outlines the senators’ intent to “oppose any legislation that infringe on the American people’s constitutional right to bear arms.”

In a statement released Thursday, Rubio said he will oppose any legislation that could be used as a vehicle to impose new restrictions on “responsible, law-abiding gun owners.”

“We should work to reduce tragic acts of violence by addressing violence at its source, including untreated mental illness, the lack of adequate information-sharing on mental health issues, and the breakdown of the family,” Rubio said.

Rubio and Inhofe joined the filibuster effort on the same day that President Obama urged Congress not to forget the heartbreak of the Newtown elementary school massacre and “get squishy” on tightened gun laws.

“Shame on us if we’ve forgotten,” Obama said at the White House, standing amid 21 mothers who have lost children to shootings. “I haven’t forgotten those kids.”

More than three months after 20 first-graders and six staffers were killed in Newtown, Conn., Obama urged the nation to pressure lawmakers to back what he called the best chance in over a decade to tame firearms violence.

Following Thursday’s White House event, Cruz accused the president of using the Newtown school shooting for political gain.

“It is saddening to see the president today, once again, try to take advantage of this tragic murder to promote an agenda that will do nothing to stop violent crime, but will undermine the constitutional rights of all law-abiding Americans,” Cruz said in a statement.

At the same time, gun control groups were staging a “Day to Demand Action” with more than 100 rallies and other events planned from Connecticut to California. This was on top of a $12 million TV ad campaign financed by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg that has been pressuring senators in 13 states to tighten background-check rules.

Dodge Durango

The 2014 Dodge Durango

Dodge rolled out a restyled Dodge Durango at the 2013 New York International Auto Show, offering some new technology in the cabin and a fuel-saving eight-speed transmission.

The 2014 Durango, however, will not get the diesel engine option soon to be available in its corporate cousin, the Jeep Grand Cherokee, which debuted in redesigned form at the Detroit Auto Show.

PHOTOS: Highlights of the 2013 New York Auto Show

The Durango’s new automatic gearbox — which can be shifted with steering wheel paddles or a “rotary” shifter in the console — will increase gas mileage by up to 9%, Dodge said.

The Durango gets mild exterior updates, including a restyled front and rear with LED lights. Inside, the full-sized SUV offers a choice of a 5-inch or an 8.4-inch touchscreen that includes audio and climate controls, among other functions. A separate 7-inch screen serves as the instrument cluster and can be customized, Dodge said.

More screens are available for entertaining back-seat passengers — two 9-inch units with Blu-ray and DVD capability built into the back of the front seats.

Dodge hopes the updates will help the Durango compete in the growing full-sized SUV segment, which the automaker said had grown 82% since 2009, with about 900,000 total vehicles sold last year. More than half of those were three-row vehicles like the Durango.

The new Durango will come with the same engine choices, a 3.6-liter V-6 making 290 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque, or a 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 producing 390 horsepower and 360 pound-feet of torque.

Dodge expects to start production of the 2014 Durango in the third quarter of this year.

Source:http://www.latimes.com

 

When enthusiasts think Subaru, they think WRX. It’s embodies everything our inner child desires: huge rear wing and giant hood scoop, a noise capable of collapsing buildings, and on-road/off-road capabilities ensuring you feel like rally champ Petter Solberg. The current WRX bears signs of age, and a revamped version is expected soon. Well, today, at the New York auto show, Subaru gave us a glimpse into the future look of the WRX. And it’s absolutely stunning.

Holding true to its roots, the enormous hood vent remains, but rather than protruding out of the hood glaringly, it now sits snug and aerodynamically within. The roof comprises of carbon fiber to reduce weight and lower the center of gravity. The inimitable, gaping WRX grille increases in size and presence, and the rear end oozes aggression mixed with a hint of love from the Subaru BRZ. Fluorescent yellow brake calipers ensure the wheels pop and that luminous glow accentuates the melon-sized quad tailpipes.

Some parts of the design will not make production, namely the tiny wing mirrors, “made-for-show” headlights and (likely) the carbon-fiber roof. But despite a few minor details, I see no reason why the next WRX won’t appear close.

We have no word yet on any engine details, other than it will be turbocharged, and the the interior remains a mystery. The concept sports BBS “RI-D” one-piece forged Duralumin wheels and 245/40ZR20 Dunlop tires. It also boasts a lower, sleeker and wider stance; surely producing improved aerodynamic efficiency.

While the reception might not have been as wild as yesterday’s shock arrival of the Camaro Z/28, the WRX Concept slides in a close second. This has the potential to create the best-looking, most intimidatingly brilliant WRX yet. I just wish we knew more of what lies beneath the skin.

Source:http://autos.yahoo.com

Disgruntled voters in ex-cabinet minister’s constituency still believe next MP will be Labour – but Ukip may have other ideas
Shields Gazette

The Shields Gazette announces David Miliband’s departure from British politics.

In Westminster the talk may all be about David Miliband jetting off to New York because he couldn’t hack being in his brother’s shadow. That’s not how many people see it in South Shields, the north-east constituency the elder Miliband has represented since 2001.

“He’s been offered more money, hasn’t he?” said David Oley, selling copies of the Shields Gazette on Ocean Road in the town centre. “You don’t leave a good job for another unless you’re getting paid more, do you?” Quite right, said a customer, Gordon Haslop. “It’s obvious he is going to be handsomely paid in New York – and you already get a lot as an MP.”

The daily Gazette had splashed on the departure of its local MP, revealing that the constituency Labour party would prefer him to be replaced by “a local candidate, rather than a prospective MP ‘parachuted’ in by head office”. The South Tyneside council leader, Iain Malcolm, could be a contender for the takeover, the paper mused.

David Oley

David Oley.Haslop, a retired welder who works part-time in the local hospital as a porter, said the next MP would certainly be Labour. “People have got very short memories around here,” he said, complaining that while Miliband “hadn’t done much for us”, his successor would be unlikely to lose the 11,109 majority he won in 2010. “Better the devil you know.”

Like most people in the town, Haslop said he could never vote for the Tories. “Look around you,” he said. “They killed this place, Margaret Thatcher and co. Just look at the river, there’s nothing there any more.”

South Shields is proud to be the only constituency in existence since the Great Reform Act of 1832 to have never elected a Conservative MP. But could Ukip make inroads? The anti-EU party didn’t even bother fielding a candidate in 2010 but a spokesman said on Wednesday morning that it was “very likely” to this time. “People have already been applying to stand,” he said.

Nigel Farage already has one vote in the can: postwoman Tracy Johnson, a lifelong Labour voter who felt the party had lost its way. “I don’t think Labour is Labour any more,” she said, delivering letters in the town centre. “I don’t think they represent ordinary working people any more. Think of how many millionaires were made when they were in government.”

It wasn’t right for Miliband to quit halfway through a term, she said, having said after losing the leadership election in 2010: “I am proud and want to stay as an MP for South Shields. I want to stay for at least the five years of this government.” But she could understand it, she said, employing a lovely bit of local lingo to explain the situation: “He’s had his plug knocked out by his brother, hasn’t he?”

Source:http://www.guardian.co.uk

Associated Press

NEW YORK — Residents of a New York City apartment building are suing the MTA over the proposed placement of the Second Avenue subway entrance.mta sue

The tenants association and owners of the Yorkshire Towers at East 86th Street say the proposal will make the building’s midblock entrance one of the most dangerous places in the city.

According to the Daily News (http://nydn.us/Yu0Bwv0 ), the lawsuit claims the agency flouted its own guidelines and environmental review by proceeding with the plan.

The lawsuit seeks to force the MTA to conduct an analysis of the proposed single-entrance plan to the 86th Street stop.

A federal judge dismissed a similar suit brought by the same group in 2011 because the statute of limitations had passed.

The MTA declined to comment.

___

Information from: Daily News,  www.nydailynews.com